Gifts of Securities
Donate appreciated stocks, bonds, mutual funds, flow-through shares or stock options and take advantage of tax benefits.
A gift of securities is a cost-effective opportunity to transform an asset into immediate and significant support for Grace Church on-the-Hill. By donating publicly traded securities, you eliminate the capital gains tax that becomes payable if you were to sell the appreciated securities on the market and donate the proceeds from the sale to Grace.
Securities can include stocks, mutual funds, segregated funds, bonds and flow-through shares.
Another option may be to exercise and donate your employee stock options Stock options are a common form of employee compensation, and gifts of stock options are a cost-effective opportunity to transform this employee benefit into immediate and significant support for Grace Church on-the-Hill. By donating stock options in the same year of exercising them and within 30 days after exercising, donors receive a tax receipt for the market value of the donation, and eliminate the tax liability related to exercising the option.
The benefits of donating securities include:
• option of giving now or as part of your estate and will planning
• satisfaction of seeing your gift put to good use today
• a charitable tax receipt
• no capital gains tax paid
• donating part of your stock and retaining the remainder for personal use
Three simple steps
Donating a gift of appreciated securities is simple.
1. Determine with your financial advisor which investments will make the most philanthropic and financial impact.
2. Contact us and let us know you have decided to make a gift.
3. Instruct your broker to transfer your securities directly to Grace Church on-the-Hill c/o TD Waterhouse #217858A (Canadian Securities) or #217658B (for U.S. Securities)
For more information about making a gift of securities, or if you have already done so please contact the finance office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Understanding The Tax Benefits of Supporting Grace
Considering a gift to Grace? There are many reasons to support the church in your lifetime and in legacy. Don Crasnton, parishioner and financial professional outlines the many reasons supporting Grace makes financial sense and how best to take advantage of the tax and other benefits to your gifts.